The Jesuit Basketball Spotlight (JBS) is a nationwide effort to capitalize on basketball games between Jesuit schools and, through those games, bring greater positive awareness and exposure to Jesuit education and its shared mission. This project was developed by the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities (AJCU
) in 2008 in response to member institutions wanting to spread the word of Jesuit higher education through the more than 80 basketball games in which Jesuit institutions play each other every season.
Jesuit institutions promote academic excellence, service and justice, and encourage students to seek God in all things and be men and women for others. Today, Jesuit institutions boast over 2 million living alumni across the world, including 10% of the United States Congress and basketball legends Bob Cousy (College of the Holy Cross), Patrick Ewing (Georgetown University), Bill Russell (University of San Francisco) and John Stockton (Gonzaga University).
There are a number of ways that institutions can support and promote the JBS program:
- Play the JBS video during game breaks or half-time, or post it on athletic websites
- Broadcast a JBS game-time announcement about Jesuit higher education in the U.S.
- Promote the National Jesuit Basketball Player of the Week selections
- Host a clothing / food drive before game-time
- Host a pre-game reception with Jesuits